Open Hearts. Open Minds. Open Doors.
Welcome to First United Methodist Church, Santa Barbara. (FUMCSB). Located in downtown Santa Barbara, FUMCSB combines the Coastal California style with its rich tradition of Methodism. Our worship, described as warm traditional, is a reflection of our congregation. We are called to provide a meaningful experience that extends beyond Sunday worship and our outreach extends into our community and around the globe.
If you are visiting Santa Barbara, or if you are new to the area, we would like to extend a personal invitation to you to come and visit. Please know that wherever you are on your journey of faith, you are welcome here.
Blessings to you,
Rev. Dr. Hillary Chrisley and Rev. Dr. Alan Strout
- March 5th, Ash Wednesday: 7:00 p.m. service in Wesley Chapel. Special night of preparation with prayer and worship.
- April 13th, Palm Sunday (One service at 10 a.m.): Follow the procession into the Sanctuary and give glory to Jesus.
- April 17th, Maundy Thursday: 7 p.m. Worship service commemorating and recreating Jesus' Last Supper.
- April 18th: Good Friday: Worship Service at First Presbyterian Church, 12 noon. A community event recalling Jesus' last hours and his death.
- April 19th, Holy Saturday: Easter egg hunt and crafts for the children, cleaning/preparing the Sanctuary for Easter.
- April 20th, Easter: Worship services at 9:00 and 10:30 a.m. to celebrate the glorious resurrection. Special music includes a brass ensemble to accompany the Chancel Choir.
Journey through the Forty Days of Lent Online Each Day
Lent for Leaders is an ONLINE daily devotional for 2014 provided as an aid for reflection, ideas for personal growth and links to more information and videos. Access the link from the United Methodist Church, GBOD (The General Board of Discipleship) website: Lenten Devotions and Reflections. Click each day for a different devotional.
Lenten Organ Series
Free Recitals Every Wednesday During Lent
Our Lenten Organ recital series began on Ash Wednesday and continue through April 16th. The free, lunchtime concerts begin at 12:15 pm in the Sanctuary. Our thanks to Bill Beasley for once again coordinating this event. The April 12th recital features John Weaver accompanied by his wife, Marianne, on the flute. The Weavers are from West Glover, Vermont. John has had a long and distinguished career including being named a 2012 Honoree of the American Guild of Organists and was Director of Music at Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church, NYC. He has served on the faculty of Julliard School of Music, Manhattan School of Music. Marianne Weaver was First Flutist of the Holy Trinity Bach Orchestra in New York for twenty-five years and has performed almost every flute part that composer has written.
Cal-Pac Conference, North District
Day of Visioning with Bishop Carcaño
at FUMCSB on March 9th
FUMCSB is hosting one of the two North District Visioning Events with Bishop Carcaño. Clergy and laity throughout the District are invited to be in reflection and discernment with our Bishop about the vision of our annual conference. Come meet our Bishop and be part of the the visioning process. Sunday, March 9th, 3:00 - 6:00 in Fellowship Hall.
All are invited to join us for our worship services and events we hold and host including concerts, potlucks, studies and small group activities. Read our Insert from our Sunday Order of Worship that describes all of our upcoming events.
Hear a Sermon
Use the easy Podcast Player to play past sermons.